Friday, February 18, 2011 12:37 PM
1) Get a pre-season health and wellness evaluation, which can identify possible health concerns that may lead to overuse injuries
2) Perform a proper warm-up and cool-down routine to prepare the body and help it recover from activity
3) Incorporate strength training and stretching into your training program.
4) Hydrate adequately to maintain health and minimize cramps.
5) Wear properly fitted protective equipment, including helmets, pads, shoes, and mouth guards
6) Wear sunscreen to protect the skin from repeated exposure to the sun during practice and games.
7) Don’t play one sport year-round. Taking one season off each year helps muscles recover from use and prevent overuse injuries.
8) Play different positions or sports throughout the year to minimize the risk of overuse injuries.
REMEMBER: DON’T BE AFRAID TO SAY SOMETHING! Pushing yourself too far may end up doing more damage in the long run.